Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Parental View

If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him? Matthew 7:11
Ever since my first son was born, I’ve had a new appreciation for this verse. No, not that I know or comprehend everything about God’s love, his love for us is beyond comprehension. But the verse seems to have taken on a deeper meaning for me since my children were born.

I remember being in the hospital with my wife when our first (Wesley) was born. I remember how absolutely overwhelming it was the first time that I got to hold him in my arms, this was MY son. I know how great my love was, and still is, for my children. But to think that as great as my love is form my children, God’s love for me is greater. As much as I want to do for my children, God wants to do more for me.
That doesn’t mean that he will give me everything that I want. Many times it is because of that great love that my heavenly father tells me no. There are a lot of things that my children want but they cannot have, it may be something that they don’t need, something that could hurt them, something that would be contrary to the truths that I as a father am trying to instill into them. A lot of times my children do not understand why I tell them no, but it is my responsibility to tell them no, and to teach them why.
By the same token, my heavenly father will not give me those things that will be harmful to me, those things that will turn my heart from Him. Many times, like a little child, I don’t see the dangers; I don’t understand why He said no. But it is my responsibility to be obedient, whether I ever understand or not.

How can I know when my children begin to appreciate and understand my love for them? When they begin to say, “thank you daddy, for not letting me do this, not letting me have that”, when they begin to recognize that the things I have done for them have been for their good.
How will I know when I am maturing in Christ, when I can say thank you Lord for the trials, thank you Lord for the valleys, thank you Lord for the times when you said no.

I remember laying that little new born baby boy in his bed and realizing how helpless he was. He could not feed himself, he could not dress himself, all he could do is lay there and depend on mama and daddy. As I stood there and looked at that little boy, I realized that I was as helpless as my son, I can’t do anything without my heavenly father.
As my children are growing their dependence on me as their father is getting less and less. But my dependence on my heavenly father will never diminish. I’m striving to be a more mature Christian, to grow in grace and knowledge, but I need Him as much today as I did when I was an infant Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment